Having a lower back pain and sciatica during sleep is such a nightmare. Experiencing firing pain in the limbs, it is quite difficult to relax fully and have a recovering good night sleep that the body requires. Making it very damaging, a very poor night sleep aggravates pain in the back and more pressure in the spine that can cause sciatic pain. It feels very disturbing to realize sleeping with sciatica, but there are some preventive measures in finding such relief. Instead of having surgery, by changing sleep habit and sleep system can ease the sciatic pain away.
Sleeping with Lower Back Pain (Sciatica)
Sciatic pain can be identified as a painful pressure in the lower spine. When positioned straight down certainly needs a strain off, it doesn’t automatically account the reason for continuing tension from misalignment and constrained muscles. Sleeping while having sciatica, it is proscribed to sleep with your tummy down. Belly sleeping forcefully extends the limb or joints beyond its limit triggering the pelvis to lean forward especially when sleeping with soft mattress. It is very helpful to use neck – support pillows to maintain the spinal alignment and prevents the entire body sleeping either on the side or on the stomach. People with lower back pain and sciatica need a mattress that will make them feel light and recharged by having a good night sleep that protects and keep the whole body all through the night.
To make it more possible for a painless and relaxing good night sleep, you may take a couple of minutes with the inversion table therapy – a very helpful exercise that will make a magical outcome during bedtime. It eases back pain, make the spine in shape and help avoid further spine surgery. It also releases mental stress which commonly keeps people awake at night.
How to Relieve Lower Back Pain and Sciatica
The largest nerve in the body is known as the sciatic nerve that is connected to the lower back down through the legs to the base of the feet. It primarily controls the lower limbs, from the largest body hinds and upper leg muscles to the tiniest blood vessels in the base feet.
Irritation and pain of the sciatic nerve are commonly known as sciatica. It can occur in many ways from distinctive spots in the nerve within the entire lower back to the lower extremities. Usually, sciatica is an effect of misaligned joints and hinges in the lower back and having intolerable pressure or overstretched nerves in the spine.
This dilemma is known as subluxation and being diagnosed and handled by massage therapists, chiropractors, and physical therapist.
In finding relief and to control again your sleep routine – consider the helpful tips having a restless sleep with lower back pain and sciatica:
- Consider a cozy sleeping mattress. Having lower back pain and sciatica, it is highly recommended to use a harder mattress than a softer one. Neck pillows and extra pillows that supports the shoulder and knees are also helpful in achieving good night sleep. This is to align the neckline along with the spinal column and below it – just to avoid pain in the neck and spine when you wake up.
Side sleepers are advised to take the upper knee way up to your head by putting pillows, depending on your comfort preference, under it to ease sciatic nerve pain.
If you want to sleep on your back, it is highly suggested to put a pillow underneath your knees lifting it up over your hips. This sleeping position can release tension on the sciatic nerve and minimizes pain and help you sleep more stress-free.
If you sleep in a starfish position – lies on their back arms raising up their head, make it certain to lie in a position that will reduce pressure and tension on your sciatic nerve. A warm shower or ice pack on the lower back for 20 minutes before bed may also alleviate pain and make it easier to sleep.
These tips should help with a better night’s sleep, but it is still recommended to visit a chronic pain specialist like those at American Spine for treatment of your sciatic nerve pain.
- Try to avoid caffeine.Caffeine is naturally found in cocoa beans, kola nuts, coffee beans and tea leaves. Food and drinks that contains such should be avoided especially for those who are suffering from lower back pain and sciatica. This also causes insomnia or sleeping disorder.
- Just give it a magical rest. Physical exercise enhances and maintains health and wellness. It can also reduce weight and minimizes risks of some common diseases. However, for people with lower back pain and sciatica, exercises that initiate thumping like running, walking, and sports activities such as basketball, tennis, and football may cause contraction and triggers pain in the spine and lower back. You may change your daily exercise and give your spine a magical rest. Try swimming and enjoy the magical merworld!
- Stretch Out!By stretching out, the lower back muscles and legs will be relaxed and the pain will be reduced. Straining on the lower back, joints and pelvis, and sciatic nerve will be relieved from discomfort. Just stretch softly and keep yourself from over-stretching that causes too much pain. Try exercise roller wheel which is suitable for body stretching and is an alternative also for your daily exercise routine.
- Stand/Sit up straight. Body posture is very significant in keeping a healthy spinal column. By standing and sitting properly and easily helps reducing nerves pains and giving a faster and a complete healing on your lower back pain and sciatica. Try to prevent sitting in soft chairs and couches that does not provide support on your back. It is better to have a back-support cushion every time you sit, in work, in the car, or even at home to make your spine aligned.
- You’d like to Move it! Move it!As mention in the previous tips, sitting in a chair with back-support cushion make you more comfortable but make sure that you are not sitting for more than 20 minutes. Sitting for more than 20 minutes can bring muscle pains, stiffness and further spine damage. Get up and move! Stretch and exercise your body by walking around the office/room. This helps you regulate blood circulation and ease minor sciatic nerve pain.
- Replace your fat wallet. Ever heard of wallet-sciatica? This is a medical term use to define the pain and distress that men usually experience from sitting on a very fat wallet for a longer period of time. It would be fine if the wallet is full of cash may be, but in the case of unnecessary documents that makes it full, think of the agony it may cause – sciatic pain. Better replace to a thin wallet instead, and avoid full cash inside it!
- Catch some good night sleep. Starting and continuing a healing procedure, sleeping is very necessary. While sleeping, the body works on the healing process and repairs most of the impairment carried out the whole day. From any injury and illnesses, the body requires regular sleep to help achieve the complete restoration.
- Being safe with new pillows.The easier way to achieve good night sleep is by having a comfortable pillows. Aside from proving you a support during night – time, this also help you get a more stress-free, cosy sleep. It serves as a support in the sensitive structures of the spine, hips, shoulders, neck and head. Using a right pillows lessen neck and back pain and sciatica.
- Consider some meds for relief. Common pain relievers can help lessen lower back pain and sciatic nerve pain and pacifies the muscles in the lower spine, upper leg and buttocks. Short-term aid can help the in the therapeutic process by giving you time to rest and sleep.
- Drink lots of water.Water helps the body in maintaining the balance of bodily fluids. When being dehydrated, muscular tissues are becoming gooey like in a form of adhesive. When adhesion is being formed, the healing process takes very slow and causes more formation of scars. Lack of bodily fluid causes adhesions that are formed between the sciatic nerve and nearby muscular tissues. This causes poor and incomplete healing process.
- Have yourself a deep tissue massage.For back pains, it is very relieving to have a deep tissue massage. Getting a body massage is very helpful in relieving lower back pain and sciatica if it is caused by irritations in the sciatic nerve, lower back muscle pain, spasms, and hamstrings. Anti – pain relieving lotions may be use plus the use of roll-on pain relievers can make the massage session perfect!
- Seek for medical help. If the pain persists, it is highly commendable to seek for medical opinions. Medical doctors, chiropractors, massage therapists and physical therapists are the right persons to ask for medical help. Don’t wait for so long to effectually heal this condition. Always remember, prevention is better than cure!
Perhaps you have realized, sciatica is not a simple issue to treat. It is a very complicated condition that evades an easy cure. That is the bad news.
The good thing is that you are not having any alternatives. Take some rest, do a healthy exercise, cushions and topical analgesics are all good ways to deal with this condition.
“Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission.”